The new policy will start on 1st November 2018 and for bookings made after 1st September 2018.
On Thursday 23rd August, Ryanair announced a new baggage policy aimed at cutting checked back fees and reducing boarding delays. Europe’s largest low-cost carrier will introduce a lower cost for checked bags that weigh up to 10kg. This new service will cost €/£8 and will begin on 1st November 2018.
Customers who purchase priority boarding will still be eligible to take two free carry-on bags (1 x 10kg wheelie back and 1 small bag) and non-priority customers will only be eligible to bring one free carry on bag (one small bag) onboard from 1st November 2018. Non-priority customers who would like to bring a second carry on bag (1 x10kg wheelie bag) will have to pay €/£8 to have their bag checked in and placed in the hold. Customers will now have the option to pay €/£8 for 1 x 10kg bag or €/£25 for 1 x 20kg bag.
Ryanair’s Kenny Jacobs had this to say:
“From November 2018, we are introducing a new lower cost 10kg checked bag and changing our carry-on bag policy to eliminate boarding/flight delays. Priority boarding customers will continue to enjoy two free carry-on bags. All other (non-priority) customers will be allowed one free (small) carry-on bag, and those who wish to check in a second bigger 10kg bag can do from €/£8 at the time of booking.
This new policy will speed up the boarding and cut flight delays. 60% of customers will be unaffected by these changes and we expect the other 40% will either choose to buy Priority Boarding, a 10kg check bag or will choose to travel with only one (free) small bag as 30% already do so today.”
Ryanair believes that 60% of their passengers will be unaffected by this change as 30% of customers buy priority boarding and 30% already travel with only a small bag which will remain free with these changes. The airline expects the remaining 40% of customers will choose to pay for priority boarding or will switch to travelling with one small bag for free. Customers who normally travel with one small bag and a small cabin bag will now have no choice but to pay the €/£8 fee to check in the small cabin bag.
The new policy will go live at boarding gates on 1st November 2018 and all bookings made from 1st September onwards.
I personally believe this is just another revenue stream for the airline as they make no money on cabin baggage that is checked in at the boarding gate and they have decided to capitalise on this. Having to put cabin baggage in the hold whilst the plane is boarding may cause slight delays, but I just do not think this justify’s this change.
What are your thoughts?